|Image credit: FIFA.|
- Fabio Capello (Russia)
- Vicente Del Bosque (Spain)
- Roy Hodgson (England)
- Jurgen Klinsmann (USA)
- Cesare Prandelli (Italy)
- Alejandro Sabella (Argentina)
- Luiz Felipe Scolari (Brazil)
- Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay)
- Alberto Zaccheroni (Japan)
#Brazil2014 #FifaWorldCup #GER #ARG #WorldCupFinal #Germany #Argentina @LiaCapizzi @CalcioNews24 @worldfootballcm pic.twitter.com/hVpBuEXN8s
— Sport Extra HD (@SportExtraHD) July 9, 2014
manager of Russia.
Photo credit: Садовников Дмитрий.
"I believe that the rapport with players is fundamental."
--- Quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport in September 2013.
- "It has been a World Cup played with more speed and precision." (3 July 2014)
- "For us, the only result is to win versus Algeria." (26 June 2014)
- "We were as tight as a violin string." (22 June 2014)
- "We are ready for the World Cup." (16 June 2014)
|Vicente Del Bosque,|
manager of Spain.
"A healthy changing room is worth more than 100 hours of tactics."
--- Quoted at Marca on 1 June 2014.
- "They flooded us in the second half." (18 June 2014)
- "A healthy changing room is worth more than 100 hours of tactics." (13 June 2014)
|Roy Hodgson, manager of England.|
Photo credit: Clément Bucco-Lechat.
"The players were trained a great deal to kick penalties during our training sessions. Because as you know, it's become an obsession for English football."
--- Quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport on 24 June 2012 from Kyiv, Ukraine after Italy v. England.
- "Italy is not only Pirlo." (14 June 2014)
manager of the USA.
Photo credit: Old School Panini.
"Soccer is a transcendent influence around the world."
--- Quoted at SoccerSolutions LLC.
- "Football has arrived in the United States." (2 July 2014)
|Cesare Prandelli, manager of Italy.|
Photo credit: Илья Хохлов
"You need 23 athletes in Brazil. Not just footballers. Twenty-three athletes."
--- Quoted last summer from the Confederations Cup in Brazil on RAI Sport.
- "It was not a winning technical project." (25 June 2014)
- "It's the most important game of my career." (24 June 2014)
- "Professionalism in preparation and suffering on pitch create a great team." (20 June 2014)
- "I want an unconscious team. We must dare." (14 June 2014)
|Alejandro Sabella, manager of Argentina.|
Photo credit. AFA.
"This group has footballing intelligence and a good rapport. We have a team and a group of players. One feeds the other."
--- Quoted on 3 June 2014 by @.
- "It was a game that either team could have won." (14 July 2014)
- "Humility, work and we'll give 100 percent." (13 July 2014)
- "Messi gave us that water in the desert versus Belgium." (9 July 2014)
- "Belgium has a very good team. It's a golden generation." (5 July 2014)
- "I'm not going to discuss Switzerland's strengths and weaknesses." (1 July 2014)
- "Fortunately, Messi is Argentinean and belongs to us." (24 June 2014)
- "Football is the sport with the least logic. We're going to play a 4-3-3 versus Iran." (21 June 2014)
- "We'll leave the word 'favorite' for others." (15 June 2014)
|Luiz Felipe Scolari,|
manager of Brazil.
Photo credit: José Cruz/ABr.
"Pressure? I had 200 million assistant coaches when I managed Brazil."
--- Quoted in a press conference during his spell at Chelsea FC.
- "We had six minutes of a dead halt." (12 July 2014)
- "It was the worst day of my life." (8 July 2014)
- "We knew Germany was in our path to reach the final." (8 July 2014)
- "This was the fourth step. There are three more steps to heaven." (4 July 2014)
- "If I could choose a rival, it would be another team." (27 June 2014)
- "This is my team and I have complete faith in it." (23 June 2014)
- "Oscar, don't forget that you owe me a goal." (17 June 2014)
- "The time has arrived. It's our World Cup". (12 June 2014)
|Oscar Washington Tabarez,|
manager of Uruguay.
Photo credit: Елена Рыбакова.
"Oscar Tabarez? He is a maestro, but we also have one in Cesare Prandelli."
--- Arrigo Sacchi quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport in December 2013.
- "I'm going to present the scapegoat theory." (28 June 2014)
- "Playing against Italy is a gift from heaven but I know their idiosyncrasies." (23 June 2014)
- "The football poets say that they only worry about their own team and not rivals." (19 June 2014)
- "We have no desire to pressure Luis Suarez" (13 June 2014)
|Alberto Zaccheroni, |
manager of Japan.
Photo credit: FIFA.
"I never thought in my entire career that I one day I'd find myself taking on Italy as a rival. I won't sing the anthem out of respect towards the country that has accepted me so well."
--- Quoted by Sky Sport Italia, 13 June 2013, from Recife, Brazil, at the Confederations Cup.
- "They like to dream." (13 June 2014)
Travel distances for teams during the World Cup - all roads point to Argentina winning it! pic.twitter.com/iuNPTtletA
— Jed Davies (Coach) (@TPiMBW) June 11, 2014
These folks provided great coverage during World Cup- congrats to @JuanG_Arango @GrantWahl @worldfootballcm and the @BeyondthePitch crew
— David Amoyal (@DavidAmoyal) July 13, 2014
Steve Amoia is a freelance writer and translator from Washington, D.C. He is the publisher of World Football Commentaries since 2006 and The Soccer Translator since 2008. You can follow Steve @worldfootballcm on Twitter.
Contact Us | About World Football Commentaries | Follow on Twitter | Home | The Soccer Translator